24 January 2014

Happy Australia Day!


Glass Kangaroos; blown glass figurines created by Kevin Prochaska, a Disneyland glass blower for 10 of his 35 years experience.
Wishing all me mates in Oz a Happy 'Stralia Day! Looking for appropriate imagery caused me to reflect. For 10 years, essentially, the 1990's, my wife and I lived in Australia. Working in design in Brisbane, Queensland is where I first was introduced to cast glass. Love the place and the people.
I've become nostalgic for the carefree time I was in Australia, happily riding me favourite 'Roo - "Bazza" - around the Sydney Opera House.
All was fun and games until some unspoken line is crossed and it got ugly.
In Oz, McDonald's are called Macca's... and they serve hamburgers with slices of violently purple beetroot.
And that is normal.
And these friendly critters are considered "little".

No comments: